Thursday, September 07, 2006

Re-Assembled At Last?



Warning: Geeky comics post!

Iron AsshatMarvel have released a preview of their new Mighty Avengers series, a comic designed to win back the old Avengers fans who, like me, have abandoned Brian Michael Bendis' New Avengers. In some ways, this is a nice friendly move from Marvel, as Bendis' series sells shedloads, and the company could just sit back and watch the money come in, regardless of the feelings of the established fanbase (who, for all their moaning about how much better the old days were, could only manage to muster up about half of today's sales figures).

Pop a Cap in Yo' AssBut I won't be buying this new series, as it seems to be woefully misjudged. The warning signs were there when Marvel announced that they'd be producing a series for the old fans, written by the very same writer who'd alienated them in the first place. And from the preview, it seems that what Bendis evidently thinks is missing from his New Avengers is lots of fighting. While that is indeed missing from his slow-moving, indulgently scripted anti-superhero comic, it might also be nice to include some effective characterisation and a semblance of plot, like the original Avengers title did. To be fair, the preview is only a handful of pages in length, but it reeks of superficiality and fundamental creative misjudgement.

Oh well. I still have my back issues.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, an Avengers comic with the Wasp, Wonder Man, and The Biggest Jerk in Marvel Comics, all written by bendis? No thanks.

    Not even Mark Bagley art could get me to buy that.

    Bendis will just have to be content with the $60 he got from me with New Avengers. Teach me to be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But... New Avengers is goooooood!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't mind Rad everyone; he's mental.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a Bendis fan, but even I must admit New Avengers is off. That being said, the character interplay from the preview of Mighty Avengers has me encouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But it is. It is I tells ya!

    ReplyDelete