Sunday, November 21, 2021

Mince Pie Fest 2021: McDonald's "Festive Pie"

I know, I know, but it is my duty to suffer.


The pastry is awful. I'm not sure it even is pastry. It feels more like some sort of fritter. Fritters are fine. I like fritters, but this is an abysmal example, with the texture of a Kettle Chip and a taste like drinking the fryer at your local chip shop.

(I mean, you've probably developed heart disease just from the picture.)

The custard is unconventional but not a bad addition, although there is far too much in this pie and it overwhelms the mincemeat filling. Which is a shame, because the mincemeat is really quite tasty! It's fruity, rich, and tangy, and better than a lot of the other pies I have tried so far this year.

But the "pastry" ruins everything. 1.5 out of 5.

(Palm oil, obviously, with added tax-dodging.)

#mincetagram #MincePieADay #MincePieFest2021

(If you want to help me fund the testing, you can click below. I've set it to £1, which is what most shop-bought pies cost. Absolutely no pressure, I'm going to buy and eat mince pies anyway, but it's there if you want it.)

2 comments:

  1. Looking at that first photo, I thought you'd bought one of their has browns by mistake, or they gave you one. Although I kind of wonder how the pie would taste if the pastry was made of fried potatoes instead of. . . whatever that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it might be slices of Freddy Kreuger's face.

      Delete