Tuesday, April 05, 2022

Emergent Cannibalism

My group is playing its way through Patrick Stuart's Silent Titans on Sunday nights. It's going fairly well. Sort of.

The players have just left a coastal village in which the inhabitants were "eating OYSTERCATCHERS from the flats". The emphasis is Patrick's.

This is an oystercatcher:

Eurasian oystercatcher (Haematopus ostralegus)

I didn't know this as we were playing, so I described the villagers munching on large chunks of meat, and nibbling at very long bones, because I was thinking of this sort of oyster catcher:

Oyster Farming

Oops.

There's a concept in role-playing games called "emergent storytelling". The idea is that you don't prepare a plot beforehand, rather you present the characters with a situation, and the "story" emerges through play. I suppose this is an example of that, although I'm not sure what sort of story it's becoming.

7 comments:

  1. Awesome. This is exactly my preferred approach to RPGs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Echoing Adam's comment, for me this is the preferred method of communal world-building through play - rather than just simply being actors in the gamemaster's novel.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, very much so. I don't think I've ever had such an extreme instance of it before!

      Delete
  2. Nom, nom, nom... I'm eating what?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the only RPG game the group I was with ever finished sort of did this. Not by the DM's choice, so much as we were kind of morons and she had to roll with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all players become morons when they sit down to play. I know I do!

      Delete