Thursday, August 17, 2023

The Fifth Place

So this happened:


I have mainly been using it to play the PS4 games that won't fit on the tiny hard drive inside my PS4, and to benefit from the "PS4 Pro Enhanced" features that I obviously cannot detect with my ageing brain and eyes.

It's a fine machine. It's huge, about the size and weight of a small family hatchback, but at least it's nowhere near as noisy or power hungry as its predecessor. I have two complaints:

1. The build quality feels wonky. For such a bulky thing it feels flimsy, even cheap, and I'm not fond of the shiny black strip down the middle that does nothing but attract fingerprints and smudges.

2. The user interface is bonkers. Gone is the lovely simplicity of the XMB, or even the PS4's chubby menu, and instead we have an insane double menu system that seems to combine both, but in the most non-intuitive way possible. Utter madness that feels like it was designed at 4:30pm on a Friday and released before anyone noticed.

All that grumbling aside, the happiness in the image above is genuine.

1 comment: