Friday, December 15, 2023

Mince Pie Fest 2023: The Results!

I was going to do the final #MincePieFest2023 rankings today but then my good friend Casey reminded me that I hadn't done The Bastard Kipling yet BUT THEN I went out today and couldn't find The Bastard Kipling anywhere so we are back to the original plan.

So then, my top three mince pies of 2023 are:


#3 - Aldi Holly Lane and Asda Yummy, both good pies with 3.5 out of 5. Good effort and neither is super expensive.


#2 - Morrisons "The Best" and M&S Classic. Excellent pies at 4 out of 5, a whole 0.5 better for M&S since last year!

#1 - The best nationally available (probably) mince pie of 2023 is...


COOP! Beautiful 4.5 out of 5 pies, much better than a shop bought mince pie should be. Well done COOP that's the best three years in a row!

So, in fact, it was a top five then.

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions and well wishes and even the handful of indications of concern. I do this for you as much as for me. Honest.

If anyone wants to bung me a quid or two at https://ko-fi.com/thekelvingreen feel free, but let's be honest, I would have bought and eaten them anyway! #GetInMyBelly

#mincetagram #MincePieADay

4 comments:

  1. Totsuzenheni Yukimi15/12/23 6:25 pm

    I've been buying mince pies from shops this year and it's convinced me to make my own again instead. They, and any bought from a local bakery, are so much better in quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I haven't made my own in a couple of years.

      Delete
  2. Totsuzenheni Yukimi21/12/23 12:27 am

    I would suggest taste testing readers' home made mince pies but that could go horribly wrong. Perhaps you could set up a patreon and visit bakeries next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would probably be wracked by worry in reviewing Readers' Pies that I would offend someone. That's not a fear I have with a faceless corporation!

      That said, if any readers want to present me with pies, I will happily eat them!

      Delete