Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Interview With a Vampire

I bumped into Kieron Gillen at Dragonmeet once but he looked busy so I didn't say hello.

Anyway, he's been running through his 101 favourite role-playing games and the most recent instalment has a story about a WFRP3 game in which the players did one of those silly facepalm things players do sometimes, and it reminded me of something that happened when I was running Horror on the Orient Express for Call of Cthulhu in 1998ish.

Spoilers for HotOE follow!

Marienkirche Leipzig 03

There is a vampire in the campaign, a horrible, withered thing called Fenalik. He is encountered early on but then stalks the investigators for much of the rest of the campaign, including boarding the Orient Express itself. At this point in the campaign Fenalik has lost all patience and confronts them on the train, but he is subject to some classic vampire weakness, such as not entering a home uninvited, and since the investigators' cabin counts as a home for this purpose, he cannot enter.

At first Fenalik tries charm and persuasion and tries to convince the player-characters to let him in, but they are having none of it. Once they realise that Fenalik is powerless to reach them they start getting a bit cocky, taunting the monster.

Fenalik is ancient and proud and wretched and does not take this at all well. He loses his temper and starts threatening the investigators with all sorts of horrible fates. Oh, the brutal, terrible things he will do to them while they live, and probably to their corpses too. The players are finding this hilarious, of course, and continue goading him. They are also trapped in their cabin, but they're not thinking about that right now; they are too high on adrenaline.

The vampire is in a frenzy now, desperate and seething, and promises that he will tear them all into bloody, tiny, pieces.

One player, buzzing, says something along the lines of "Oh yeah? Just come in and try it."

There's a pause. A dreadful, heavy pause.

I wish I could say it was me being dramatic but it was more that I was working it out at roughly the same pace my players were.

A bit faster perhaps, as I could see their jaws dropping and their eyes going like saucers just as I started to describe the cabin door exploding into splinters and a furious vampire springing into the room...

As it happens only one character was killed in the fight that followed, but they were all a bit less overconfident after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment