Sunday, November 02, 2008

The Legend

About ten or so years ago, Channel Four had a brief kung fu season of late night films, I think on Saturdays. One of those was The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk, a thrilling mix of martial arts, family drama, political tensions and vaguely Shakespearean comedy. I loved it to bits and was very pleased that I'd taped it.

That tape went missing a long time ago, and I've been trying to find a dvd copy for a while, only to discover that the Weinsteins had bought the international dvd rights and, as the Weinsteins tend to do, butchered the film and slapped an ugly dub on it, without giving the option to watch it in the original language. Oh dear.

The only option was to buy a copy direct from China, but I'm always wary of that route, as I've heard too many stories of dodgy bootleg copies being sold on the sly. Nonetheless, on Friday I went ahead and ordered one, thinking that a bootleg of the original is better than a pristine copy of the Weinstein atrocity.

Then I read this week's Radio Times, and discovered that it's on, in the original Cantonese, this Friday. Argh.

No comments:

Post a Comment