Thursday, May 14, 2020

Hardly Everchosen

I stumbled across this art today:


(I discovered that it's from a 2015 Age of Sigmar book and I can't tell you who the artist is because in 2015 Games Workshop wasn't big on giving credit to individual staff members.)

What struck me about the picture was how different it is to the standard GW house style, which tends to be more painterly. Actual drawings have very much gone out of fashion in Nottingham, so I was surprised but happy to see eight pages of this at the beginning of the book.

Alas, it's presented as a flashback and the final page blends from this style into your bog-standard GW painting, so there's a sense that it's literally "only a dream", but it's still nice to see a different style of art appear in a modern GW product. Maybe there are more that I have missed.

2 comments:

  1. Those illustrations were made by Kevin Chin, who also paints like all the box covers for Warhammer Underworlds. There's a nice interview with him at the Warhammer Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS-Ox_Q8yCU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it is! Thanks David. I have read an interview with Kevin in White Dwarf, where they showed a lot of similar artwork, so I should have made that connection.

      Delete