Saturday, January 30, 2021

I'm Gonna Party Like It's 1991

I thought it might be fun to do some writing about comics again, and so I decided I would review every comic Marvel published in 1991. I chose 1991 because the 90's have a bad reputation among comics fans, but I was out of the loop as far as superhero comics go -- with a few exceptions -- at the time, so it would be new to me. Maybe it wasn't all as bad as popular wisdom says it was, and even if it was all terrible, at least I would be seeing for myself.

A little bit of fun to break up all the gaming and drawing posts. That's what I thought.

Then, when I started researching for my first post, I found out that Marvel published over 70 comics in January 1991 alone! Oh dear.

So having underestimated the size of the project to an absurd extent, I'm going to limit it to one comic a week. I will either pick one that jumps out as interesting, or I will let a random number generator decide what I read. If any of you have a favourite Marvel comic from 1991 that you want me to look at, let me know and I will add it to the list.

Oh, and wish me luck, because this may be the stupidest idea I've had in 18 years of the blog.

4 comments:

  1. I don't remember what the X-Men were up to in '91 (pretty sure that's after the Australia years) so pick something from one of their books (if they had two, had X-Men started yet, or was it still just Uncanny and X-Factor)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few floating about. It looks like January 1991 is when "X-Tinction Agenda" finishes, so I might give that a look.

      Delete
  2. No, this is a great idea! Not sure if you're going by publication or cover date, but Jan '91 looks like the first issue of Frank Castle making his way into The 'Nam. I remember picking that one up when I saw it on the spinner rack because I was/am a sucker for those sorts of crossovers, but I didn't follow the story to see how the two 'Nam issues played out or pick up any of the Punisher titles that were (maybe?) connected. I actually can't really remember any/many details about that issue. Heck, maybe I never even got around to reading it. Not necessarily a suggestion, but a thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly enough, my first random comic does involve the Punisher, but it's not The 'Nam! I've never read the latter comic though, so I'll add it to the list.

      Delete