Tuesday, December 07, 2021

Curtailed Cthulhu

A while ago I had an idea for simplified Call of Cthulhu characters. For some reason I never put the idea into practice, so here I am, er, putting the idea into practice.

All of the following characters are based on how they appear in the fifth edition Call of Cthulhu rulebook.

Dr Henry Armitage
Hit Points: 10 (+5 spawning points)
Sanity: 55 (0 spawning points)
Profession: University Librarian 80
Hobbies: Occultist 35, Polyglot 50



Randolph Carter
Hit Points: 15 (-20 spawning points)
Sanity: 50 (+5 spawning points)
Profession: Former French Foreign Legionnaire 60
Hobbies: Book Lover 50, Dream Explorer 25


Harvey Walters
Hit Points: 15 (-20 spawning points)
Sanity: 45 (+10 spawning points)
Profession: Occult Journalist 80
Hobby: Amateur Pilot 60



The main changes from the original post are that "build points" are now "spawning points" because it's Call of Cthulhu not Pathfinder, and I've increased the points available from 120 to 150, because otherwise the characters were a bit weak in comparison to their CoC5 versions.

I think there's some potential here. I need to think about what happens if a character's "skill" doesn't apply in a situation; what sort of default value would I use then? I think it may be easiest to fall back to the basic skill values from CoC5, but that's something to ponder.

The basic concept here is to make quick characters that retain compatibility with existing Call of Cthulhu materials, but I'm going to explore the possibility of turning this into its own game system. I have some ideas...

No comments:

Post a Comment