Monday, June 21, 2004

Bugger That For A Game Of Soldiers


I got my selective service registration card the other day. Bollocks to that. Now, I don't think there'll be a draft anytime soon, for a number of reasons, not least that Bush wouldn't dare try it before an election. If he gets in for a second term though, I wouldn't be surprised if he calls for conscription. And he'd get it too, because this "government" is a bunch of cowards and won't stand against Bush if he has "public opinion" (or vote-rigging) behind him.
So I'm especially glad that I'm just a "resident alien" here, and not an actual citizen, as I can just bugger off home if conscription comes up. I doubt I'd fight a war for my own country (although I do see the benefits of military service, as long as there's no killing involved, which is only slightly paradoxical...), so I'm certainly not going to fight for someone else's. I think I'd be ineligible anyway on the basis that I have flat feet, but you can't be too careful with these things.

This is a great little site, which I found while looking for a copy of the BBC's "Rush Hour" ident. And why was I looking for that? Firstly, because it's brilliant, and secondly because I've just got hold of (and read) all twelve issues of Global Frequency, which is handy, because it's going to be a television show soon. I hope they adapt issue six at some point, because it would look amazing (even if they don't set it in London, which is likely). A lot like that BBC spot actually...

Saw Dodgeball today, and I haven't laughed so much in ages, even though I saw it in one of those cinemas that thinks it's a jolly good idea to make people's ears bleed. There's some great jokes in there, and there's a surprising amount of subtlety to the film. Is it a good film? Probably not. Is it funny? Too bloody right it is.

Oh, and you can read the first two pages of my hijacking of Brad The Vampire right now. They're numbered as #316 and #317. They don't make much sense if you haven't read the first 315 pages, and probably don't make much sense even if you have, but the latter is sort of the point...

No comments:

Post a Comment