Friday, May 10, 2024

I Love You, Doctor Sessan!

My print copy of Ruination Pilgrimage arived today, so I tested it out by making a character!

Doctor Sessan, itinerant surgeon:
  • Strength: 30
  • Agility: 37
  • Intellect: 39
  • Combat: 20
  • Presence: 28 (I rolled 666, which seems like it should be significant in this game!)
  • Body: 22
  • Fear: 29
  • Sanity: 37
  • Resolve: 29
  • Faith: 7
  • Sorrow: 2
  • Health: 17
  • Skills: Literacy 10, Mathematics 10, Surgery 20, Pottery 10
  • Vice: Wrath!
  • Previous job: Potter
  • Background: Caught thieving and pilloried. Has a thief tattoo on his ear.
  • Kit: Nice clothing, spyglass, blank scrolls, candles, 20 coins (double 10!).
  • Patron saint: Arevadah, Saint of Combat (which seems a bit optimistic given his combat score!)
  • Hat: classic Roman-style helm. (From JB's excellent random hats tables.)
I imagine Sessan was picked out of a life of -- apparently angry -- pottery and petty crime by a kind-hearted physician, who took the lad on as an apprentice. I feel like that 666 for presence should probably present -- ha ha -- as a slightly "off" feel. Maybe a whiff of brimstone about him.

Character generation was quick and simple. The full instructions are split across multiple pages and chapters, but most of the process is covered on page 2 and it's intuitive enough that there's not a lot of page-flipping. The only murky area for me was the patron saint; you are directed to a table later in the book to determine your character's saint, and there's a lot of data on that table, but I think all you care about during character generation is the identity of the saint. The other stuff comes up when you pray and conduct rituals for your patron. I think. Maybe. Ish?

No comments:

Post a Comment