Monday, August 01, 2022

All Together Now

Remember when they were developing D&D5 and they said it would be compatible with prior editions, and you could run characters from different editions in the same party? That didn't happen (SPOILERS) but I do wonder if it's a viable idea and anyone has tried it.

What would a cross-edition party look like? Perhaps something like this, says the person with very little experience of anything before fourth edition:

AD&D1: Half-orc assassin, surely?
AD&D2: Gnome illusionist, obviously.
D&D3: Warforged cleric, probably.
D&D4: Dragonborn fighter, presumably, since fourth was supposed to make fighters as special as everyone else.
D&D5: Roll 1d12 or GM's choice. Or a Warlock of Cthulhu, eldritchly.

I very much want to try this now.

4 comments:

  1. Since I adopted 5th ed after a lifetime of 1st ed, there has been some growing pains. I feel I run games just like I used to. Only some player stuff has changed. So far I have avoided all the folk who want Beholder Ninja Cyborg Gunslingers, but I am expanding my horizons slowly. And though a mixed party is no longer really needed, my current group is very diverse in class. The most unusual are an Aasimar and a Shadow Elf. But the usual is there...fighter, ranger, paladin, druid...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting to know, as I have no experience of first edition. I do think that perhaps from the GM's perspective there shouldn't be too much trouble with a cross-edition party of characters, given that even within the same edition character classes differ in mechanics quite a bit.

      Delete
  2. My favourite edition of D&D is the Mentzer BECMI series (I know, I know), so I have as though I have to give a shout out for:

    BECMI: Elf.

    (Or possibly one of the "monster as class" classes from the Creature Crucible series?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that would be my pick too. Probably the most unique of the Basic classes.

      Delete