Monday, November 15, 2021

Mince Pie Fest 2021: Aldi Specially™ Selected

These scruffy pies look like they've been in a fight, but it's taste that counts, and these taste... weird.


The pastry is soft, just how I like it, but also has a nice bite to it. The filling is a bit lacking in overall flavour but there is a touch of booziness that comes through at the end. The weird bit is that the filling is quite chewy, which is an odd sensation, but not an unpleasant one.

They look rough, but I quite like these scrappy little pies. 3.5 out of 5.

#mincetagram #MincePieADay #MincePieFest2021

5 comments:

  1. Specially Selected, The Best, Extra Special "Luxury", Deluxe... Are there any "Regular" or "Bog-standard" to be found?? For the occasions that aren't all the special, i.e. the "Tuesday Pie"??

    (I just had two)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all very extravagant, isn't it?

      Oddly enough, I had one today that went by the relatively modest title of "Classic" and it was quite good!

      Delete
  2. As a but of an Anglophile and foodies but also an uneducated yank, I am most familiar with Walker and Mr. Kipling.

    Where do these rate for you and how do I get more Mr. Kipling ANYTHING?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, I've had a real difficulty finding Mr Kipling mince pies! I finally found them a couple of days ago, so they are in the review queue.

      As for how you get them in the US, I have no idea. 15 years ago you could find these things in World Market, but I have no idea if that still exists, if you have one near you, and if they still stock British foods.

      That wasn't very helpful was it? Sorry.

      Delete
    2. There are one or two purveyors of British products in New York City but they are far from me, don't have all the same items all the time, and at least one of them is kinda pricey.

      Delete